Currently living in Cambodia
benjamindarrowvalentine At gmail DOT com
I hold a B.A. in Studio Art from Earlham College, where I graduated in 2009 with Academic and Departmental Honors when I was just 19 years old.
Freelance Writer (2008 – Present)
Over the last decade I have worked as a freelance writer, publishing articles for both print and online, exhibition catalogues, as well as contributed chapters to two books. While I’ve covered topics ranging from technology to activism, I’ve focused most extensively on contemporary art practices, especially in Southeast Asia.
- SFAQ, Contributing Online Editor (June 2015 to June 2016)
- The Civic Beat, Strategist and Contributing Writer (Feb 2013 to October 2015)
- Hyperallergic, Staff Writer (January 2012 to March 2013)
- Notable publishers: Art Asia Pacific, Salon, Motherboard, Hyperallergic, Rhizome, Los Angeles Review of Books, VICE, The New Inquiry, and more.
Special Projects Organizer (2009 – Present)
I believe that manifesting my words and ideas physically is sometimes necessary, and I have organized events in various settings, ranging from museums to community centers spanning three continents. I have organized two symposiums, one with over 700 people in attendance. However, as with all of my work, I strive to engage a wide variety audiences, and I am most proud of the range of audiences I have worked with over the last decade.
- Co-Founder, Art Writer’s Retreat, Kampot, Cambodia (April 2018 – ongoing)
- Public Programming, SA SA BASSAC, Cambodia (August 2016 – April 2017)
- Advisor for Sammaki Community Arts, Cambodia (March 2015 to March 2016)
- Curator, Gullkistan: 20 Years, at Hveragerði Art Museum, Iceland (2015)
- Curator, symposium series, SFAQ (Project) Space, San Francisco (2015)
- Curator, Unmasking the Network, A Simple Collective, San Francisco (2014)
- Co-curator and panelist, Tumblr Art Symposium, 319 Scholes, NYC (2013)
- Curator, Global Space, the Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art (2012)
Speaking/Workshops (2009 – Present)
I am deeply committed to bringing ideas into a public dialogue. Whether lecturing at prestigious universities and museums, or leading workshops at local community art events in rural USA or Cambodia, I am gifted at meeting audiences where they are, and making the ideas I write about accessible and relevant to a greater public.
- Art History Teacher, STEP IT Academy, Phnom Penh, (Nov 2016 to April 2017)
- Presenter for SXSW, SAIC, UC Santa Cruz, Herron College of Art, Museum of the Moving Image, YBCA, de Young Museum, and more.
- Workshops for SA SA BASSAC, the ACLU of Northern California, Sammaki Community Arts, and more.
- Researcher in residence at Hue Arts Residency, Hue, Vietnam. (2016)
- Researcher in residence at 98B, Manila, Philippines. (2016)
- Writer-in-residence for ART21’s Future issue. (2014)
References available upon request